Tuesday, June 24, 2008

re-ci-pe; wholesome curry wraps!

I just tried this today, and I think it worked really well. I'm kind of excited about it because it is cheap, easy, tasty and actually pretty healthy.

What you need:
Golden raisins
Cous Cous
Curry Powder
Olive Oil
A tomato based Curry/Indian simmer sauce (found in ethnic section of grocery store)
Garbanzo beans
Tortillas

Cook the cous cous as follows (from The Big Book of Vegetarian by Kathy Farrell-Kingsley)
-Warm 2 tsp. olive oil and add 3/4 tsp. curry powder, stir constantly cooking for about a minute.
-Add 1 1/4 c. water or broth and 1 c. golden raisins and bring to a boil.
- Stir in 3/4 c. cous cous, remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.


And now to my additions -

Let cous cous mix cool with the lid off. Add one can of drained garbanzo beans and maybe about a cup of the Indian tomato based curry sauce (depending on how moist you want the mixture) and blend all together.

Spoon about 1c. of the mixture onto the center of a tortilla, wrap entirely to form an enclosed little burrito. Wrap the burrito in wax paper, tape up, and store in fridge to take along as snacks or what have you. Good heated up!!!

I got the idea from a local vegan company that makes wraps. I'm trying to find ways to break away from cheese everything - and this is actually delicious to me!

1 comment:

Rebeca said...

Yummm, this sounds great. I'm going to have to try it, or some variation of it with stuff I have around. Thanks for sharing! Rebeca